Wednesday, July 04, 2012
Ministry Of Natural Resources
Fish for Free During Family Fishing Week
Canadian residents can fish licence-free in Ontario from July 7 to 15, providing families a fun and affordable way to enjoy the province's beautiful lakes and rivers.
Family fishing events in towns and provincial parks across Ontario include:
- Eight Urban Fishing Festivals in the Greater Toronto Area
- Rock Bass Family Fishing Day on Whitefish Lake at Algonquin Provincial Park, July 7
- Dorion Township Huck Finn Derby at the Dorion Township Recreation Centre, July 8
- Powassan Family Fishing Derby at South Himsworth Public Beach, July 9
- Hamilton Bass Master's 1st Annual Kids Fishing Derby in Christie's Conservation Area, Dundas, July 14
- The 16th Annual Dorset Kids Fish Derby, July 15
Supporting tourism and recreation is part of the McGuinty government's plan to strengthen the economy. A strong economy protects the services that mean most to Ontario families -- health care and education.
"Ontario has beautiful lakes, streams and rivers. Whether you've never fished before or have been doing it for years, fishing is a wonderful way to spend some time together as a family, enjoying this province's great outdoors."
- Michael Gravelle, Minister of Natural Resources
"A day of fishing is a great way to enjoy Ontario's natural beauty and have some fun while creating family memories that will last a lifetime. Ontario parks are the perfect setting for a family adventure and to discover Ontario's great outdoors."
- Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism and Culture
"We are happy to be a part of this terrific opportunity for Canadian residents to try fishing without any licensing barriers. Many OFAH member clubs will host derbies during Family Fishing Week to introduce the joy of fishing to those who have never known the thrill of a fish on a line."
- Angelo Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Media calls only: Maya Gorham
Media calls only: Media Desk
Communications Services Branch