Rainbow Health Ontario (RHO) is a province-wide program designed to improve access to services and to promote the health of Ontario’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities.
Although much has changed, the needs of LGBT people are often overlooked in our health and social service systems. Ontario’s Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care funds RHO to act as a catalyst in improving services, increasing knowledge, showcasing innovative practice and encouraging networking and collaboration.
RHO is a centralized resource for service providers, LGBT communities, planners and researchers, to obtain health resources, research and policy information, materials on developing cultural and clinical competence and much more.
RHO has a reach that is truly provincial in scope. RHO core staff and a Community Outreach Team of 14 from every region of Ontario support a wide range of service providers and community members across Ontario. RHO is based at the Sherbourne Health Centre (SHC) in downtown Toronto. Sherbourne has been providing comprehensive primary health programs and services to local LGBT communities since 2003.
Rainbow Health Ontario’s website: www.rainbowhealthontario.ca is designed to facilitate and improve access to LGBT health and social services in Ontario by providing a central source of information. It includes 5 databases:
- A provider directory features listings of programs and services as well as individual service providers that have expressed a commitment to providing competent and welcoming care to LGBT people in Ontario.
- A resource database which contains descriptions of resources such as books, reports, presentations, journal articles and websites from Ontario, Canada and around the world.
- An events listing that provides information about upcoming LGBT health and wellness-related events and activities across the province, as well as events outside of Ontario that might be of interest to our communities.
- A researcher database which features profiles of LGBT health researchers who hold faculty positions in academic institutions across Ontario.
- A trainer database features profiles of trainers and educators who provide LGBT education and training in Ontario.
The website also includes information about LGBT health and other related information, and an opportunity to sign up for our monthly newsletter. Currently we are looking for LGBT friendly and competent health service providers for our online database. This tool assists those searching to locate and connect with a safe provider. If you would like to enlist yourself or agency please contact your local Representative by e-mail or telephone.