Friday, March 23, 2012
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Ontario Wait Times Leader
A new report from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) examining provincial wait times for hip and knee replacements, radiation therapy, cataract surgeries, cardiac bypass surgery, and hip fracture repairs finds that Ontario is first or tied for first in four categories.
In 2011, Ontario excelled in delivering timely access to vital health services, ranking first in Canada for hip and knee replacements. Ontario was also tied for first with Quebec for cataract surgery and with Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan for cardiac bypass surgery.
Receiving the right care at the right time and in the right place is an important part of the McGuinty government's Action Plan for Health Care and builds upon the significant progress that has been made in improving Ontario's health care system since 2003.
"Since launching the Wait Time Strategy, our government has built a co-ordinated system where patients can access vital services in a timely manner. The CIHI report clearly shows that we're on the right track in Ontario, providing health care for Ontarians where and when they need it, and making us the national leader in wait times."
- Deb Matthews, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
- Since 2003, Ontario has invested approximately $1.7 billion to fund nearly three million additional procedures and manage wait times.
- Through the Wait Time Strategy, Ontarians have waited 131.5 million fewer days for key procedures since August 2005.
- Since 2005, wait times have been reduced by:
- 191 days (61%) for cataract surgery
- 156 days (44%) for hip replacement
- 212 days (48%) for knee replacement
- 17 days (21%) for cancer surgery
- 27 days (48%) for angiography
- 11 days (39%) for angioplasty
- 4 days (8%) for bypass surgery
Find wait times for procedures performed at hospitals across the province.
Read the CIHI report: Wait Times in Canada - A Summary, 2012
For public inquiries call ServiceOntario, INFOline
(Toll-free in Ontario only)