St Thomas Elgin General Hospital
The St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital (STEGH) is a 155-bed facility providing comprehensive 24-hour coverage in Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, Emergency and Family Medicine. As a fully accredited hospital, we are proud to serve the city of St Thomas and all eight municipalities within the County of Elgin.
More than 800 professionals work at STEGH, including over 200 credentialed Professional Staff who provide in-hospital care ensuring that we provide the highest quality of care to each and every patient that walks through our doors.
Our range of hospital services include, emergency medicine, a surgical program, cardio respiratory services, palliative care, chemotherapy, diagnostic imaging, education programs, pediatrics, obstetrics, and much more.
The hospital participates in the Southwestern Ontario Medical Education Network as a community hospital training centre for residents in OB/Gyn, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Hospitalists, Anesthesiology, and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Position: Diabetes Nurse Educator
Description: The Diabetes Nurse Educator acts as a role model, resource person, change agent, consultant, and educator in the clinical specialty of diabetes management and education. They are an expert who provides leadership and guidance in the planning and implementation of care to optimize the management of care for patients with diabetes. The Diabetes Nurse Educator will work closely with the Professional Practice Clinicians (PPC's) throughout the organization to facilitate the provision of evidenced based best practice in diabetes care. An integral part of this role will be to facilitate knowledge transfer to build clinical expertise in diabetes care within the community inter-professional team.
The successful candidate will build and maintain excellent relationships with key physicians and nursing stakeholders within the hospital and community, to establish linkages that support a seamless continuum of care. The Diabetes Nurse Educator will participate in relevant committees and will contribute to the enhancement of nursing practice related to Diabetes management.
- Monday to Friday, 0800-1600 hours.
- May require occasional evening and weekend work.
Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) required
- Certified Diabetes Educator (required)
- Membership in Professional Association (RNAO) and pertinent Professional Interest Groups (preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of current nursing experience with recognized expertise in diabetes (preferred)
- Certification in foot care (preferred)
- Knowledge of insulin pump therapy and current certification, or willingness to certify during the orientation period, for Medtronic, Animas, Omni Pod and Roche pump systems (required)
- Demonstrated leadership and commitment to patient-centered care and evidence-based nursing practice
- Able to work effectively with individuals, groups and teams
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), and teaching skills
- Demonstrated innovative problem-solving skills
- Resourceful, adaptable and knowledgeable regarding change process and research methodology
- Excellent organization, time management and communication skills
- Committed to working within an inter-professional team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (required), Powerchart and or EMR familiarity (preferred)
- Foster a culture of patient and staff safety guided by STEGH’s Mission, Vision, Values and Code of Conduct
Salary: To be negotiated
Terms of Employment: Temporary Full time
Deadline for Application: Tuesday, January 31, 2017
How to Apply: Apply directly to the job posting on www.stegh.on.ca.
Location: St Thomas
Profession Type: Health Education (Diabetes, Public)